Sunday, June 19, 2016

New Belgium - Heavy Melon Watermelon Lime Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at New Belgium Heavy Melon Watermelon Lime Ale.

I first saw this beer at Target but could not bring myself to buy a six pack of a beer which billed itself as containing watermelon and lime. I am generally not a fan of shandys and the thought of a beer which had this much sweetness did scare me. But when I saw it a week later at my favorite beer store (which allows you to mix six packs!) I took the plunge and bought a couple to try over Shavuous.

The beer poured a light copper with noticeable foam which lasted for quite some time. There is a strong odor of watermelon which Mrs KB felt was a little too artificial, but I did not find unpleasant. I did not detect any lime, but the ale worked better with watermelon than the lager backbone does with a shandy. The resulting beer was refreshing and light, but not something that I would attempt to pair with anything more substantive than a salad.

New Belgium Heavy Melon Watermelon Lime Ale is under the Kosher Supervision of the Scroll-K of Colorado. Although the beer does not bear the kosher symbol on the label, the Scroll-K kosher symbol can be found on the bottom of the six pack holder.

Please note that not every brew produced by New Belgium is under kosher supervision. For a list of the New Belgium brews currently under supervision, please click on the link on the left side of my home page for my latest Kosher Beer List.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about New Belgium Heavy Melon Watermelon Lime Ale, please follow this link beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/207483. As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you are reading this post more than six months after it was written, please note that it is possible that the product is no longer still certified kosher. To verify that the product is still certified kosher, please click on the kosher beers list link on the top left corner of the blog.

Lastly, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: