Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday Night Suds - New Belgium Long Table Farmhouse Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at New Belgium's Long Table Farmhouse Ale.

When I brought this beer to the table tonight Mrs KB looked at me questioningly as to what is a farmhouse ale. I told her that it was beer brewed with chicken fat but she knew better than that. In reality, a Farmhouse Ale is a synonym for a Saison.

The Long Table is not long on hops, but then again the saison style is not known for pine, citrus or bite. These beers are fruity with some malt and earthy/yeast tones. 

This brew had a complex flavor profile with some fruit from the yeast and a bit of spice. The beer poured a mild but pale yellow and had about an inch of foam which dissolved into nice lacing on the glass. This is not a one note beer and I found myself enjoying each successive sip. I could see pairing this with spicy fish dishes like the AKF Chicago Spice Tilapia.

New Belgium Long Table Farmhouse Ale is under the Kosher Supervision of the Scroll-K of Colorado. Although the beer does not bear the kosher symbol on the label, the Scroll-K kosher symbol can usually be found on the bottom of the six pack holder (as I bought this is as part of a mix your own six pack, I did not see the holder, but I have found that to be the case with all the NB beers under the Scroll-K).

Please note that not every brew produced by New Belgium is under kosher supervision. For a list of the New Belgium brews currently under supervision, please click on the link on the left side of my home page for my latest Kosher Beer List.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about New Belgium Long Table Farmhouse Ale, please follow this link beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/172124. As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: