Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Gen IV IPA


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Saranac Gen IV Session IPA.

For once, I can actually can say that I was surprised by a Saranac beer. Since Saranac is one of my favorite breweries, I try to keep an eye on the new styles and mix boxes that come out of the Utica based brewery. So I admit that I was a bit surprised when I saw the Gen IV Session IPA on a mix your own six rack in a Binghamton Wegmans. I grabbed one other new beer that I had meaning try and some quality others and threw together the mixed six and brought it home to chill...and learned that the Gen IV was a new summer insert in the 2015 Beers of Summer box.

The bottle label does not give much information on why the beer is called Gen IV. The bottle indicates that this the fourth generation of brewing and that the owners of the Matt Brewing Co (parent company of Saranac) had been involved in pilot brewing this beer. Still, I wondered whether the beer had been engineered as the latest generation of Session brews for Saranac, or this was just a catchy name.

Since I was not going to call Saranac for the answer, I guess that I will just be stuck with this question for now. But I also have a delicious, easy drinking, slightly piney IPA, so what is there to complain about. Mrs KB and I enjoyed it with some barbecue steak and the slightly mild IPA went very well with the peppercorn marinade. I can see this beer standing its own with other charred meats as well.

Saranac Gen IV Session IPA is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit as is every other beer produced at the Matt Brewery plant in Utica, NY. Keep in mind, Saranac has begun to brew some of its High Peaks series off site and these bottles do not have kosher certification from the Va'ad of Detroit.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about the brew, please follow this link www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/169314.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: