Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday Night Suds - Shiner Prickly Pear

This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Shiner Prickly Pear beer.

Often when we have company our guests ask what they can bring. I usually leave that for Mrs KB who can work out so that our guests' contribution to the Shabbos table is incorporated into the meal. However, this week, our Friday Night company brought a Shiner Family pack which was completely unnecessary, and yet at the same time a welcome addition to our Shabbos table.

As long time readers of this blog are aware, I have been a Shiner fan for many years and find that they produce a quality brew. But besides their standard beers, they also experiment with seasonal brews which often become part of the regular line up. One such beer is the Prickly Pear which I read about a few years ago, but had never seen in NY until our friends brought the family pack two nights ago.

The combination of cactus fruit (aka prickly pear or sabra) with beer may seem odd or even sound like something of a "fru fru" drink but the Shiner Prickly Pear was eminently drinkable. The beer poured a rich orange and the smell as I drew the beer to my face was unmistakably sweet. However, the beer was not a one note of sweetness as the prickly pear had different elements of citrus and some bitter to it.

Since there were many of us at the Friday Night table, I only had about half a cup of this brew and I found myself wishing that I had a six pack so that I could experiment with pairings. Don't get me wrong, this beer is clearly a dessert beer, but its more than just cotton candy sweetness.

The Shiner Prickly Pear is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit although there is no symbol on the the bottle. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about the Shiner Prickly Pear, please follow this link beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/82773.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!



No comments: