Monday, September 29, 2014

Belated Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Ginger Pale Ale



This week's belated Sunday Night Suds looks at Saranac's Ginger Pale Ale (aka GPA).

Although the Sunday night post is always reserved for a beer review, I just could not contemplate opening a beer last night as our Sunday night dinner was the break fast for the Jewish fast day of Tzom Gedalyah.

As  I have detailed in past posts, when I was younger I used to be able to eat a meat meal after a fast, but I am finding as I get older that I just can't stomach that anymore (no pun...well maybe pun intended). As such, we have been making it a habit of having dairy meals for the breakfast. Even with this lighter fare, I admit that I was not up to beering last night, so the SNS post is making a belated appearance on Monday.

But enough about my digestive proclivities, since the average reader not related to the KB family does not come to this blog to read about my eating habits.

The Saranac Ginger Pale Ale is another of  the beers included in this past summer's "12 Beers of Summer" variety pack. The other beers included in this box were the Wild Hop Pils (reviewed here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2013/07/sunday-night-suds-saranac-wild-hop-pils.html); Cloud Splitter (reviewed here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2014/09/sunday-night-suds-saranac-cloud.html); Jugglernaut (reviewed here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2014/08/sunday-night-suds-saranac-jugglernaut.html); Kolsch (reviewed here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2008/08/sunday-night-suds-saranac-kolsch-ale.html) and Session IPA.

Although I put off drinking the GPA until tonight due to my concerns coming out of the fast, there really was no reason to worry. The GPA is first and foremost a ginger beverage and I was unable to finish my drink this evening due to the strong ajax/floor cleanser flavor emanating from the brew. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy ginger flavored beers (see my review of the Shiner Ruby Redbird here - http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2011/05/sunday-night-suds-shiner-ruby-redbird.html). However, the strong ginger flavor makes this beer undrinkable in anything other than small sips. At least there is only one other bottle of it in the mix box, so I can try to pass it off on some unsuspecting soul...

Saranac GPA is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit as is every other beer produced at the Matt Brewery plant in Utica, NY. Keep in mind, Saranac brews some of its High Peaks series off site and these bottles do not have kosher certification from the Va'ad of Detroit.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about the GPA, please follow this link www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/116793.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Finally, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: