Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - Lakerfont Brewery IBA


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Lakefront's IBA - an India Style Black Ale.

I found this beer in the Big M Supermarket in Walton, NY. I was first drawn to this supermarket years ago by a sign on the outside which claims that it has the "largest walk in beer cooler in the area." I don't know how they define "the area" but I keep coming back because they have a diverse beer selection and are close enough to Camp M that the beer is still cool when I get to our cabin.

More recently, the Big M added a mix your own six pack for 9.99, which is generally a good bargain.  But what makes the Big M mixer a bargain is that they don't just include macros and they even include limited editions and seasonal brews in their pool.

I was intrigued and drawn to the IBA when I saw it in the Big M. I had never seen or heard of an IBA, notwithstanding the fact that so many breweries have been experimenting with black beers such as Black Lagers, Black Ales and even Black IPAs. However, this beer billed itself as an India Style Black Ale and I wondered how that would play out. And I was not disappointed.

The IBA had a decent hop  profile with some pine. But the star of the beer was the earthiness which added whole new dimensions of flavor. There was some lacing and an interesting aftertaste which smacked faintly of peppermint. I can't say that I would ever voluntarily buy a mint flavored beer, but this was just a hint that came at the end of each sip and made me want more.

I have no idea how this beer is sold in the NY area, but the website indicates that it is a seasonal and sold in six or 12 packs. I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for it.

Lakefront Brewery IBA is under the kosher supervision of the Star-K (there is even a Star-K on the label). For the experts' take on the IBA, please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/741/65076.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!



No comments: