Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds turns back the seasons and looks at Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale.

Yes, I know that the winter beers are on their way off the shelves and the spring line has begun to populate the local beer stores. But with the weatherman predicting snow again for NY for Tuesday, I just had to reach for one from the back of the box and bring back a little Thanksgiving before we move on to spring.

When I poured the Harvest Pumpkin Ale, the first thing that struck me was the nutmeg. Although the glass was still on the table and at least three feet away from my face, I could smell the nutmeg and spices in the beer. I raised the glass closer to my face and even with a solid inch of foam at the top of the glass, I got a whiff of a nice blend of other spices in addition to the nutmeg. 

The first taste of the beer made me think of the spiced teas that my wife likes to serve to company after lunch on Shabbos. Don't get me wrong, there was a hoppy ale backbone to the brew, but the spices made me think of that smell that you get when they start selling the scented pinecones in the supermarket - winter and holiday and warmth.

I would pair this beer with sweet poultry dishes or other medium fleishig fare. This is not a beer to have with a steak, but if you can find it next fall, I would recommend it with the turkey!

The Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale is under the Kosher Supervision of the Star-K and has a Star-K certification mark on the label. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this brew, please follow this link - beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/45844

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: