Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - Big Eddy Uber-Oktoberfest


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Big Eddy Uber-Oktoberfest.

Two winters ago, the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company rolled out their premium line which they called "Big Eddy." According to the bottle neck, the brewery is fed by the Big Eddy Creek, hence the name "Big Eddy." Personally, if I was naming the premium line for a brewery, I would have come up with something a little more classy. Big Eddy sounds like an enforcer or thug. Maybe I am biased because I had a bus driver when I was growing up whose name was Big Eddy. He was a big guy, with close cropped grey hair. No one messed with Big Eddy..., but I digress.

The Big Eddy Uber-Oktoberfest poured a dark orange, with no cloudiness and very little foam. The first taste is malt and they linger on the tongue as some of the hops start to hit. There is a considerable citrus flavor, more orange like then anything else. The sweetness never really goes away and although there is some alcohol flavor, the overwhelming flavor is the malt and orange.

I tried this beer on its own after dinner, so I have no first hand pairing information. I could see drinking this with sweet stuffed cabbage or sweet and sour chicken. I do have one more bottle left of this, so I may save it until Mrs KB makes one of these sweet dishes.

Because the Big Eddy Uber-Oktoberfest is in the premium line, the price is a little steep. The beer ran $11.99 for a four pack at the Beverage Barn in GC Park. Luckily, the owner let me mix this with another of the Big Eddy varieties (the Russian Imperial Stout) so I did not have to drop $25 to try the first two kinds of Big Eddy to hit the NY area.

Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Uber-Oktoberfest is certified kosher by the Orthodox Union, and has an OU on the label. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this beer, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/97186

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: