Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Night Suds - Samuel Adams White Lantern Ale


After a week off to reconnect with family and go on a mini road trip, Kosher Beers returns with the Sunday Night Suds review of Samuel Adams White Lantern Ale.

Sometimes I get an urge for a particular kind of beer. If I am home, I can usually get my fix with one of the beers on the shelf in the den. Or if I am in an area that I am familiar with the local beer stores, I can go down and pick up the brew style of my choice. But last week I found myself in unfamiliar territory. We took the family away for a few days and I had not done an advanced scout on the local beer stores. Well, that may not be exactly accurate as I had hit a beer store on my way out to the hotel, but it was very disappointing and the store did not live up to its reviews on BA.

In any event, I had a craving for an ale and I was in the heart of Sam Adams country in Massachusetts. You would think that it would not be difficult to find an IPA or other ale at 10:30 on a week night, but the pickings were slim and I had to settle for what I could find at a Tedeschi's (the only place open at that hour).

Back at home in WH, I pulled a page from the back of the playbook and put a Samuel Adams White Lightning Ale in the 'fridge. This beer labels itself an ale, but it truly is more of a witbier. Having said that, the folks at SA offer the following explanation for the brew:

White ales have a long history of unique ingredients, as Belgian brewers experimented with spices discovered during the spice trade. For our hazy brew we created a refreshing combination of crisp wheat, the tangy sweetness of tangerine & orange peel, and the subtle spiciness of coriander & Grains of Paradise.

The spices meld with this brew to create a summer beer which rivals and perhaps even exceeds the Samuel Adams Summer Ale. If I could pick up a six pack of this beer I definitely would, but it only comes in a sampler box.

This beer would be a great accompaniment to sweet shabbos chicken dishes!

The Samuel Adams White Lantern is under the Kosher Supervision of the Star-K and has a Star-K certification mark on the label. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this brew, please follow this link - beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/88423

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: