Monday, February 4, 2013

Sunday Night Suds - Redd's Apple Ale


This week's (belated) Sunday Night Suds looks at Redd's Apple Ale, one of the newest brews from Miller/Coors.

[Due to the ineptitude of American Airlines and their lame excuses and failure to properly   communicate with their passengers, I was unable to post this review last evening. My apologies to those who looked for the review in its regularly scheduled spot].

Late in 2012, I received word that Miller/Coors was test marketing two new beers - the Redd's Apple Ale and Third Shift Lager. Since I am a sucker for apple infused beers, I set out to look for the Redd's Apple Ale, but was unable to locate any in my area. After a few months I gave up hope of finding it, but recently I began to hear commercials for Redd's on the Internet broadcast of 98.7 ESPN Radio (formerly 1050). As my local stores were still not carrying it, I went to the Redd's Apple Ale website and was able to locate it near where we were spending a few days during yeshiva week. I picked up one bottle (the last one in the store) along with some others kinds of beers which I iyh hope to review in the coming months. Yes, Mrs KB is a true aishes chayil as she accompanied me on the beer scouting trip and helped me to pack it so that the eight bottles of various brews would not break on the trip home.

It was hashgacha pratis that the Redd's Apple Ale has come along because the most widely available apple infused beer - the Angry Orchard brand of hard apple ciders are no longer certified kosher. I was first tipped off to this fact by a blog reader who posted a comment that the CRC was listing Angry Orchard as not recommended. I found this odd since the beer was still listed on the Star-K LOC from December. However, the most recent version (January 2013) of the Star-K LOC for Samuel Adams made no reference to the Angry Orchard. I then contacted the Star-K and they confirmed that the Angry Orchard is no longer certified kosher, but those remaining bottles with Star-K on the label may be consumed.

Please note that although I mention the Apple Ale in the same post as hard apple cider, there are very few similarities between the two. The Redd's Apple Ale is not as sweet as hard apple cider, but it does not taste much like beer either. The beer has no foam to speak of and the carbonation is on the mild side. What one does taste is tart apple without much attempt to artificially sweeten the brew. It is very drinkable and without any noticeable alcohol after taste. It just does not taste like beer.

Redd's Apple Ale is certified kosher by the Orthodox Union like nearly every beer produced by MillerCoors and there is an OU on the bottle.  For the experts take on the Redd's Apple Ale, please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/105/87280

 As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As a girl who usually doesn't drink ales or beers; I find this apple ale to be quite a shock. I was expecting to end up giving it to my bf and telling him to finish it, but to the contrary I'm finishing it off myself. I mean if I have to have a ale or a beer I'll definitely get this. :3

Anonymous said...

Thanks - I am addicted & it's kosher!