Monday, October 17, 2011

Belated Sunday Night Suds - New Belgium Belgo



This week's Sunday Night Suds comes direct from the very windy city of Chicago, Illinois and looks at New Belgium's Belgo, a Belgian Style India Pale Ale.

As per our family custom, we spend Sukkos in Chicago with Mrs KB's family. It was in that very sukkah fifteen years ago that I began my beer education and I continue to return year after year. Although the beer of the house tends to be Heineken, they have warmed to my experimenting with the various brews which can be found in Chicago, but nowhere on the East Coast. What can I say, there truly is no beer town like Chicago.

[In all fairness, I can't really rip the Heineken this year. It was served from the Heineken Home Keg and it gave the beer a smoothness you just don't get from a bottle].

Now that I have gotten the TMI out of my system, lets talk a little about the New Belgium Belgo.

New Belgium describes this beer as a Belgian Style India Pale Ale - a combination of terms and flavors that I had a hard time comprehending before I tried the beer. I am well schooled in IPAs - frequent readers of this blog know that its one of my favorite style. They are clean and hoppy, with a nice bite. Belgian style beers on the other hand are notorious for their spice - whether added to the brew process or naturally emanating from the hops or yeast.

The New Belgium Belgo taste truly is a combination of the Belgian and the IPA, although the spice from the yeast does overwhelm the hops in the beginning. As I tried a few more sips, I started to feel the hops, but the spice melds with the citrus to make an interesting flavor mix.

New Belgium Belgo is under the Kosher Supervision of the Scroll-K of Colorado. Although the beer does not bear the kosher symbol on the label, it can be found on the bottom of the six pack carrier. Please note that not every brew produced by New Belgium is under kosher supervision. Please click on the link on the left side of my home page to see my latest Kosher Beer List.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about New Belgium Belgo Belgian Style India Pale Ale, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/73864. As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Finally, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: