Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Night Suds - Sprecher Special Amber Lager



This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Sprecher Special Amber Lager.

This past week has been nothing short of a "scorcher" on the East Coast of the United States. Having spent Shavuous in the sauna known as Baltimore followed by a drive North to New York where everyone and their grandmother was on the side of the road selling bottles of cold water, it has been weather which even an outdoorsman would seek the shelter of air conditioner.

Once we returned to New York for shabbos, I knew that whichever beer I would choose to accompany Friday night dinner must be something which could be served ice cold, without losing any of the taste factor. This knocked out many of the macrolagers which whether cold or room temperature still don't taste like much. (I passed a great billboard for Heineken on my way up - it took a shot at Coors and Budweiser's gimmick cans by saying something like - you have ten ways to tell if our beer is cold enough - they are called fingers).

Since the hot weather and hot food combination dictated that I stay away from stouts, porters and heavy ales - I chose the Sprecher Special Amber, a Vienna style lager which had received good reviews on BA.

The beer poured a richer amber than I was expecting with a great deal of foam and lacing. The first sip gave me more hop bite then I would have expected, while still staying true to the malt balance of a lager. I took a few more sips and began to appreciate this brew, even though I am usually not a lager fan. I quickly poured some for Mrs KB and she agreed that the beer was a quality brew. I again lamented that I had only bought one four pack of this solid Midwestern beer. Hey, at least the beer comes in 16 ounce bottles (as opposed the usual 12 ounces).

Sprecher Special Amber is certified kosher by the Wisconsin K. There is a logo on the four pack holder and on the top label on the bottle.

For the experts' take on the Sprecher Special Amber Lager please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/144/97.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Finally, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: