Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Bohemian Pilsner



This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at the last of the beers from the Saranac 12 Beers of Winter Box - Saranac Bohemian Pilsner.

I love when breweries use the term Bohemian to describe their beer. Whenever I pull one of these out, I catch Mrs Kosher Beers singing a little bit of Queen. Our kids used sit around looking quizzically at her, at least until I showed my oldest the Mike Myers version of Bohemian Rhapsody on YouTube. The rest of them are still confused...

With the snow really starting to pile up outside, I took the Saranac Bohemian Pilsner (the picture may not be clear, but the 2010 label for this brew has a bear walking across what appears to be a frozen, snow covered lake). I am not a big Pilsner fan in general as I find that they are usually too thin for me, even though that is the way that they are supposed to be. Since the experts at BA have termed this a Czech Pilsner, my hopes were a little higher since these have more hop to them and tend to have a little more body then the typical macrobrewed pilsner (German, Belgian or American Macrobrew - they all tend to run a little to light for me).

The first couple of sips that I had of this beer were all I needed to know that this was not a typical watered down pilsner. The beer had a great mix of maltiness and hops and each sip seemed to give up a slightly different flavor note.

Bottom line - unlike some other pilsners, this brew is not like drinking barley water with a little beer aftertaste. It would go well with pizza, or other light fare.

Saranac Bohemian Pilsner is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit, as is every other brew produced by Saranac. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about Saranac Bohemian Pilsner, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/45378.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Finally, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: