Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Night Suds - Leinenkugel Berry Weiss



This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Leinenkugel Berry Weiss.

When I first brought this beer home, my wife asked me whether it was Chani Weiss' husband. Ok, it sounds much funnier in person (Honey Weiss, Barry Weiss).

Unfortunately, this beer is no laughing matter. When consumed on its own, it is akin to a super sweet berry. I can remember going as a kid with my dad to a restaurant near his office and trying Welch's Strawberry Soda, right after it became kosher. I never tried it again. And here I am stuck with four more of these...

The Berry Weiss label indicates that the brew is made with honey, blackberry juice "and other natural berry flavors." I would be curious to see the calorie and sugar content as the beer is sweeter than any brew that I have ever tried.

I have tried pairing this brew with beef stew (not cholent) and it was a dismal failure. I have also tried it with turkey and cranberries and the combination was like drinking a soft drink with the meal. No meshing of the flavors, but at least the sweetness was not dissonant.

If you would like to sample the Berry Weiss, try to find a retailer that will let you buy singles. Failing that, if you live nearby you can ask me for some of the ones that I have left. You just need to sign a waiver first...

Leinenkugel Berry Weiss is certified kosher by the Orthodox Union, although the product currently in the marketplace does not yet have an OU on the label. If you would like a copy of the LOC please contact me via email.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about Leinenkugel Berry Weiss, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2967.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: