Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Night Suds - Lake Placid Honey Rye




This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Lake Placid Honey Rye.

I first heard about the newest seasonal offering from Lake Placid when I had the good fortune to visit the FX Matt Brewery last month. As one of my client's had a matter which was venued in Utica, I took a quick trip down the road after finishing up at the Courthouse and visited with the good folks at the Matt Brewery. (For more about that trip click here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunday-night-suds-utica-club-pilsner.html). During my visit I learned that the Honey Rye would soon be bottled and I made it my mission to try to score some on Long Island.

A few weeks later, I noticed that a new beer store was opening in West Hempstead (West Hempstead Beer & Soda - located on the corner of Hempstead Tpke and Walnut Street in West Hempstead). Since they advertised that they had a large selection of craft beer, I stopped in and asked if they carried the Honey Rye. Although I was told they did not carry it at the moment, their local Manhattan Beer rep was in the store and he said that he would have it for them the next week. So this past Friday I stopped in again on my way home from work and sure enough - Honey Rye! Needless to say, I will come back and visit again.

So what does the Honey Rye taste like? For those of you expecting a sweet beer like the Blue Moon Honey Moon, you might be a little disappointed. However, if you are looking for a beer with a little sweetness melded with some spice and kick, this is the beer for you.

When I first brought the glass to my face I was struck by the honey smell. But upon drinking the brew I was hit by Rye and hops - a good combination. Is there honey in the aftertaste? Absolutely. But there is a lot more to the beer.

Lake Placid Honey Rye is under the kashruth supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit, as it is bottled at the FX Matt plant in Utica. For the experts' take on Lake Placid Honey Rye, please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1888/58710.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: