Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Night Suds - Killian's Irish Red


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Killian's Irish Red lager.

Last week I was asked to bring beer to a kiddush. While I am usually reticent to do so, certain circumstances which I cannot divulge required that I comply. As such, I was stuck in a bit of quandary - what do I bring to a kiddush that people will drink, but is still a quality brew that beer drinkers will enjoy?

So I went to my favorite beer store on Thursday night with a game plan...and came out with a case of Killian's Irish Red lager. Yes, its a lager and its brewed by a macrobrewer (surprise Killian's Irish Red is brewed by Coors). Still it has some maltiness and toasted grain flavors in the brew and would be more acceptable to those who know beer than say MGD or the Silver Bullet.

Surprisingly, the Killian's went over quite well at the kiddush. Quite a few people commented that they had never tried it before, but would be picking it up in the future. It went quite well with cholent and potato kugel, although it was not a good combo with chopped liver. In truth, I am not certain which beer if any goes with chopped liver - maybe a schwarzbier?

Killian's Irish Red is certified kosher by the Orthodox Union, as is every other beer produced by Coors.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about Killian's Irish Red, please follow this link - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/909. As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

Finally, if you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: