Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Night Suds - Shiner Kosmos Reserve




This week's Sunday Night Suds review looks at another of the finer Shiner brews - Shiner Kosmos Reserve.

The interesting thing about buying a variety box of beer is that often times you get a brew which is completely unexpected. I remember about three years ago buying a mix Saranac box and coming across the Caramel Porter which I found quite delicious. After being unable to locate any sixes of the Caramel Porter in my area, I emailed Saranac and inquired about the brew. To my surprise, they shipped a case of it to one of my local stores.

On the flip side, I have occasionally bought mix boxes and been stuck with 2-4 of a type of beer which I could not stomach. My personal nemesis is the Sam Adams winter box which for reasons known only to the Beantown brain trust contains the perfectly undrinkable Cranberry Lambic. Since I crave some of the other limited editions which only come in the winter mix box, I continue to buy it and then try to pass off the Cranberry Lambic bottles on "friends."

The mix box of Shiner which I purchased had one of those pleasant surprises - the Shiner Kosmos Reserve. The box actually contains 2 of six different varieties and since I knew that I liked quite a few of them (and that all were under the Va'ad of Detroit) I figured that it would be worth my while to pick the box up.

The Kosmos Reserve was quite a catch. It bills itself as a lager, but is decidedly not an American Macro Lager or even a Heineken. This quality brew has the lager body, but with a generous amount of hops. I enjoyed it with Chinese food this evening (Gan Eden - great kosher takeout in Great Neck, just make sure they give you everything that you ordered). I wish I had more of this quality brew so that I could try it with other dishes.

Shiner Kosmos Reserve is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit, although the brew does not bear the Va'ad symbol on its label. If you would like me to e-mail you the Va'ad LOC for Shiner Kosmos Reserve, send me an e-mail and I will gladly oblige.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about Shiner Bock, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/47465 . As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: