Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Pumpkin Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds beer review continues the seasonal theme and takes a look at another pumpkin brew - Saranac Pumpkin Ale. [Last week's review of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale can be found by clicking here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2008/11/sunday-night-suds-harvest-moon-pumpkin.html ].

The Saranac Pumpkin Ale poured a dark red nearly brown color. Although I tend to appreciate some of the sweeter ales, the sweetness in this brew was over the top. The nutmeg and clove flavors are quite strong, which I guess is a positive if you like those flavors in your beverage. For me, the most redeeming quality was the balance of carbonation which like most Saranac brews was perfect.

What would I recommend pairing this brew with? Maybe a sweet chicken dish or sweet ribs. Its definitely not a good compliment for savory meat dishes. If you are one who likes beer after dinner, I would recommend it with cake or pumpkin pie.

Public service announcement - the Chicago Rabbinical Council (CRC) is having an all day seminar on the kashruth of alcohol tomorrow. If you would like to see the program please click here http://www.crcweb.org/community/inCommunity.html . From what I can see of the program, it looks interesting and informative. (I myself was planning on attending and had even booked a flight, but my sister had a boy and the bris is in NY the same day. I hope to get a tape of the program and possibly post about it in the future).

Saranac Pumpkin Ale is under the kashruth supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit, as are all other beer produced by Saranac. For the experts take on Saranac Pumpkin Ale, please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/25608.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: