Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Laker Strong


Tonight's Sunday Night Suds review looks at Laker Strong, a lager that boasts a 5.9% alcohol content by volume.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago in the review of Laker RedI have had an interest in trying Laker for a long period of time, but could not do so because they do not export to this part of the country (I'm not even sure they export to the US at all).

I did receive some interesting feedback from my cousin Doron as to the Laker beers. First, the ad campaign that I found hokey (click here to see the ad) is so omnipresent in Canada that Canadians are sick of the jingle. The other interesting fact he told me was that while Ontario restricts beer sales to government operated "Beer Stores", in Quebec it can be purchased in corner stores and grocery stores. Maybe my next family trip should be to Montreal...

Although the brand name for this offering by Laker is "Strong", I found the flavor to be anything but strong. The beer itself poured out as a light yellow color liquid with a little foam. Upon drinking it I could identify it as a lager, but could not pick up much else. To me, the beer almost seems to be like an ice beer - a beer that is brewed to eliminate aftertaste. When I first started my beer education, I went through an ice beer phase (Bud Ice in the penguin bottles, Icehouse and RedDog) and this seemed like it would fall into that category. Much like ice beer, this beer has a slightly higher alcohol content at 5.9% (usually brews are around 5.0) and this earns it the "strong" moniker that Laker gave it.

The beer went well with the cholent that I had for shabbos lunch, but then again most beers do. I would recommend this for someone looking to try beer, but not looking for much in the way of bitter.

Laker Strong is certified kosher by the Kashruth Council of Canada. For the experts' take on Laker Strong click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/416/14316 .

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: