Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Hefeweizen



Tonight's Sunday Night Suds review looks at Saranac's Hefeweizen. Although sometimes confused with an American Wheat Ale, a Hefeweizen is a somewhat different brew. Unlike American Wheat Ales, a true Hefeweizen contains a ratio of 50:50 (or even higher) wheat with a yeast that produces a unique flavor, closely resembling banana. The "hefe" prefix means "with yeast" and the "weizen" means wheat beer.

I can recall the first few hefeweizens that I tried and how I could not shake the (mistaken) feeling that the beers were flavored, even though the labels clearly indicated that they were neither spiced nor flavored. I subsequently learned that weisse (wheat) beers have a specific flavor that is clove like in nature which is derived from the brewing process. The hefeweizen has an even more intense flavor that has that banana-like after taste.

The Saranac Hefeweizen has an amber color and a little foam. In my opinion it is best drunk cold by itself, without any accompanying food. I had mine tonight with a sefer after running around in the sun all day and it was truly refreshing. I shared some with my aishes chayil and she too remarked how good it was. Still, I would not drink this with food as the unique flavor would probably clash with a meal, although maybe it could go with banana cake...

Saranac Hefeweizen is under the Kosher Supervision of the Vaad of Detroit as are all beers brewed by Saranac. For the experts' take on the Hefeweizen please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/6799.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: