Monday, April 7, 2008

Max Kellerman's Monday Musings Vol VII - The best use of Joba, Walking near the TV when your father is watching and Preferring sons to daughters

Today's Max Kellerman and Brian Kenny show was chock full of sports talk. Topics discussed included the best use of Joba, Are the Braves Louie Gold's master, Whether the team with the best player always wins the game in the NCAA tourney, and many other topics too numerous to mention. I would like to focus on just a couple as well as one that Max Kellerman mentioned on Friday.

The show started with Max Kellerman inventing a term for Joba Chamberlin - the "relief ace." Max discussed how there are starting pitchers who are the ace (aka a stopper) as well as closers who are also quite valuable. Max then designated Joba as the "relief ace" who makes sure that the game stays locked down.

Another topic discussed was Louie Gold's perceived fear of the Braves. I think that this may be more of Max and Brian trying to get into Louie's head, since he seems more aggravated by the Braves then afraid of them.

There was also a great quote that I believe that Brian Kenny attributed to Chris Berman. In discussing the NCAA Tournament (which Michael Kay has dubbed the worst in recent memory), both Max and Brian agreed that it really has not been a New York story and that neither has paid that much attention to it. If I am remembering correctly, Brian Kenny said that Chris Berman remarked about an event that he had not followed that "there is only so much room in my head." Great line, I need to save it for a special occasion.

As far as the discussion from Friday, Max Kellerman mentioned something that evoked strong memories of my childhood. He mentioned that if his father was watching a game and he walked near the TV and then the team did something poorly, it was "his fault" that the bad thing had happened. I can recall watching countless Ranger games with my Dad and not being able to talk or move because it was impacting on the game. Not that my Dad said that in so many words, but the stray comment or movement got to him. I hate to say it, but it has somewhat passed down the line as I can't stand it when my kids are running around the room while I am watching a Jet game. I know that no one really believes that the distraction in the room causes their team to lose, but the irrational feeling is still there and I thank Max for letting me in on the fact that its just not me.

Its funny, but Max once told me that it was his personalization that he has picked up from Howard Stern that he believes makes him successful as a radio host. Although sometimes I feel like there is TMI, I do see his point as his entire life (ranging from his attempts at conception to the renovations in the apartment above his) is laid out in the show on a daily basis. It was weird, but from listening to his show on an almost daily basis (I do go to Court sometimes) I felt like I knew him before I actually met him. It was so weird to then see him and hear him talking to Louie, Robin Lundberg and others (including my wife) and realize that everything he says on the air about his life is true. Either the man is a genius or he has no shame. You can draw your own conclusion.

The final topic that I want to discuss has to do with children. Max remarked that women get a "raw deal" in life since they have to carry and give birth to children while "optimal happiness" is only possible if you are a guy. The strong biblical link to Genesis was obvious in this respect as the curse that Eve is given for eating from the tree of life condemns women to the pain of childbirth.

But going beyond the issue of the pain of giving birth (vs male freedom) Max Kellerman's comments also finds their roots in Torah thought from another perspective. We know from the Talmud in Berachot 59(b) that when a son is born the father makes the blessing hatov v'hametiv - that the birth of this male child is good for me as well as others. This is in contrast to the blessing of Shehechiyanu that the Mishna Berurah says that we recite to express our gratitude that a new event (birth of a duaghter) has taken place. Thus, as usual Max has brought Torah thought into his sports show.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: