Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Pete's Wicked Ale




It's funny how you sometimes associate a certain taste with an event. I still remember the first Pete's Wicked Ale that I ever tasted. It was Thanksgiving Day 2005. I was in the middle of my IPA phase and wanted to get some Saranac Pale Ale to bring with me to my parents' house where we were having Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, I had run out and did not realize that all the regular retailers were closed for the holiday.

At the end of my rope, I drove to my back up beer store (it's always important to have at least one back up store). I was pretty sure that the store would be open since the owners are recent immigrants and were not likely to close for an American holiday. Sure enough, they were open. Unfortunately, they only had the Saranac Pale Ale in twelve packs and I did not want to buy that much. They did have Pete's and I had heard good things about it, so I figured that I would pick up a six (they don't let you mix sixes at this store, just another reason that its not one of my primaries).

I was pleasantly surprised how well the Pete's went with turkey and fixings. I had shared some with Sarah and we both reacted at about the same time as to how well this smooth yet full bodied beer went with our feast. Of course, my parents were not interested in sharing any, since there was never beer in my parents home, but that's a story for another day. Still in all, we finished a couple with supper that Thanksgiving day and Pete's became a regular visitor to my beer cellar (aka the space under the counter ledge where I store as many different beers as Sarah will let me keep at one time).

Pete's is a nice smooth ale that is perfect with meats, poultry and especially barbeque. Its a nice first step ale for those looking to graduate from macros or ice beers. As a colleague remarked when I ordered some at a going away party for our friend Charlie (he was going to Iraq at the time and has since B"h returned safely) -- this is really good beer. And she was right.

Pete's Wicked Ale is under the Kosher Supervision of the Vaad of Detroit as are all beers brewed at the FX Matt plant in Utica, New York.

For the experts' take on Pete's please click here
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/126/1397/?ba=bros

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: