Monday, February 25, 2008

Max Kellerman's Monday Musings Vol I: A-rod, Golf and Women

About two years ago, I first heard Max Kellerman on the radio doing a show that aired after Michael Kay in the 7:00 slot on 1050 ESPN Radio. I learned to alternately love or hate the "These Five Things I Know Are True" that signalled the start of each show. I also began to develop an appreciation for a Sports Radio host who knew more than just sports and interspersed various political, religious and socio-economic commentary with the usual sports banter.

I know, many people think that Max Kellerman may discuss issues and comment in ways that may seem to be contrary to the thinking of an Orthodox Jew. But there is a lot that can be learned from Max and his views are not all that different than those in the mainstream of Orthodox life.

Take for example today's show. Max had a number of themes that ran through his three hour show. These included that A-Rod is under appreciated by Yankee fans and is frequently a target when there is nothing better to write about. [He quoted an article that I did not see where A-Rod was called soft]. This is nothing new to those aware of New York sports. Just remember the 2005 season - Yankee fans railed against him and booed A-Rod mercilessly during most of the season - despite the fact that he was putting up gaudy numbers (he finished with a 1.031 OPS, 48 HRs and 130 RBIs). Yet when the discussions came up about the MVP race, Yankee fans came out of the woodwork to laud his accomplishments over those of David Ortiz. I'm sorry, but weren't you all just booing him every time he came to bat?

Other topics reached today were that golf and NASCAR are not sports. No argument from me on either topic. While they may involve competition they are not sporting events.

A topic that may (in theory) get Max in trouble with his wife Erin was that "The Oscars show why women are dumb." No Sarah, I did not say this, Max Kellerman did. [Editorial comment - this year neither my wife nor I watched the Academy Awards, but then again neither did most of America].

But getting back to my original thought - Max followed this statement with a heartfelt expression about Erin that marrying her was the best thing that he ever did. Having seen Max and Erin together, I can't disagree. But this is also not a thought antithetical to Torah Judaism. The Talmud states in Brachos 8a (as well as in Yevamos) the expression "Matza Isha Matza Tov" or if a man has found a wife he has found goodness. I myself have learned to appreciate my wife more and more as the years of our marriage have gone by and I find myself closer to her now then ever. Why, because in the words of Max Kellerman - marrying my wife was the best thing that I ever did. Or in the words of the Talmud - "Matza Isha Matza Tov."

No comments: